The current immigration system targets and tears families apart that have deep roots in our country. PLAN believes that fellow Nevadans should not have to live in fear of deportation or be perpetually criminalized. Instead, they should be recognized as contributing members of our communities because they are our co-workers, classmates and neighbors.
PLAN is committed to lifting up the voices of immigrants, refugees, and aspiring Americans to push for policies that will protect immigrant families and other vulnerable populations from deportation. We have a broad coalition that advocates for immigrant rights and works collectively to provide families with resources needed to protect themselves. Our work will ensure that we have a just Nevada that is inclusive and welcoming to all immigrant families.
Know Your Rights
It is important to know that everyone, regardless of immigration status, has certain rights under the United States Constitution such as the right to remain silent and to be represented by an attorney. Knowing and understanding your rights is crucial to protecting yourself. The American Civil Liberties Union and American Immigration Lawyers Association both have key information to further understanding what your rights are if you encounter the police or ICE agents.
What Do I Need To Know If The DACA Program Ends?
On September 5, 2017 the Trump administration announced they would be ending DACA. This program has helped 13,000 Nevadans and 800,000 youth nationwide that came to the US as children. Under DACA many of them have had the opportunity to work, go to school, and help their families with everyday expenses.
The Immigrant Legal Resources Center provides important information regarding these changes, as well on how to be prepared. If you or someone you know need assistance with a DACA renewal before the October 5, 2017 deadline, contact PLAN’s Citizenship & Immigration Services Program of Northern Nevada
For additional information and services available in Northern Nevada — e.g. Adjustment Status, Assistance at CIS, Interviews, Deferred Action (DACA), EOIR, Family Petitions, Temporary Protected Status, (TPS), etc. — please visit our Citizenship & Immigration Program website.
In the news
- Nevada’s 13,000 DACA participants confront ‘limbo’
- Nevada Dreamers express concern over DACA announcement
- People’s Action Pledges to Stand With DACA Recipients and Work Toward Full Immigration Reform
- DACA Anniversary Brings Supporters Together in Nevada
- Open Forum Discusses Immigrant Rights
- Restaurant owner almost went bankrupt after Trump’s visit during campaign
- Unions Draw Thousands to May Day March on Las Vegas Strip
- Being a DREAMer during the time of Trump – March 23, 2017
- Being a DREAMer during the time of Trump – March 27, 2017
- ‘The hurricane is about to hit’: Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration sparking fear, action in Las Vegas